Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Homemade Baby Food Pride

Hola!  I made baby food from scratch.

This is in reference to #3 in my New Year's Resolutions ListI thought we could do a lighter, brighter topic for today after the last few posts. 

FYI - Should you ever attempt this, you may want to know that you should only do one item at a time.  One squash will provide LOTS of baby food portions, and more than one will be overwhelming - but you will feel like a sacrificial wonderful mother while you learn how dumb you are.  :)

Alright, here are my BE-U-T-FUL pics!

 

Yes.  I really did plan to make all of these at one time.  I'm crazy.  I stopped short of the sweet potatoes, though. 

But...I did this on November 5, and we still haven't run out!





For how to make pumpkin puree, please visit my friend Hannah's post.






 1.  Wash the pumpkin.





 






2.  Cut off top.



3.  Scoop out the seeds. 



4.  Place seeds in a bowl to bake later
...or to neglect until they're moldy...ahem.









 





5.  Place in a baking dish and add water.  (Then bake as recommended on Hannah's blog.)





Squash is a lot like pumpkin, hence the similar photos.

 




Eventually, I realized that I was CRAZY and would never make it on my own, so I enlisted reinforcements. 
*Well, actually, just one reinforcement.








 
 



All baked!

 



Then we just had to scoop out the yummy insides and puree them.

 



















 We had so many things that we had to store TONS of puree in ziplock bags until the first batch had frozen, because I ran out of containers to freeze in.



All I could think of once I hit the third and fourth hours of the night in my over-zealous cook-ahead-ness was Proverbs 31:15.

"She stays up into the night;
   she provides food for her family" 

I think it may actually say something about that blessed woman getting up while it's still dark, but I'm not a morning person, so I've adjusted the text a tiny bit.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment